Tuesday, May 1, 2012




Whatcha Listening To?
 I often need to revisit my slightly embarrassing lesson of “Whatcha listening too?” Although I’m pretty sure it isn’t a lesson just for special needs parents.  Like many others, I am susceptible to passively allowing things to enter my mind.  In fact, it is the basis for a popular game with Emily, our daughter, and Star, our niece.  They start a song and without thinking twice I chime in.  I don’t even realize that I’ve fallen into their sneaky little trap until I hear the giggles.  By then it is too late and it can take hours or days to get that thing back out of my head.
Though I didn’t realize it, the “Whatcha Listening To?” lesson started early one day while at the water park. Of course they play catchy upbeat music because they want you upbeat so that you continue to return to the park.  When we returned home everyone was getting their showers and I started cleaning the kitchen.  As I’m standing at the sink lip synching and bopping to the song in my head, I hear Emily, then 12, giggle and ask, “Whatcha listening to?”  Not only wasn’t it a praise song of adoration to our amazing God, it was a song that would have brought even greater embarrassment had it been audibly coming out of my mouth.
While my mind was completely boggled at the song I had chosen to pay homage to, God, of course, turned it into a life lesson.  I had been in the habit of entertaining some other thoughts that were equally embarrassing.  All of my doubts, fears, and what-ifs were a glaring assault on either God’s abilities or His intentions.  Insulting either way, so He began to show me that I couldn’t afford to passively let Satan plant thoughts of his choosing in my mind, much like I allow Emily and Star to plant songs.
“But God I don’t intentionally go searching for negativity to focus on.  It just kind of happens.” He reminded me of a sermon I had heard on “taking captive” the thoughts that go against His Word and how it was an act of aggression.  2 Corinthians 10:5 certainly paints it as anything but passive.
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge
 of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

2 Corinthians 10:5
Of course, God in His infinite wisdom picked the most appropriate song to bring about this lesson, “Oops, I Did I Again” by Brittney Spears.   Now as I find myself entertaining thoughts of insecurity, worry, anger, and the million special needs “what-ifs,” all He really has to say is, “Oops!!”  I just love God’s sense of humor.  I suspect that if you review your thought life you would also be able to say, “I’m not that innocent.”  ; )




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...